Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Manager
Ref No: 220000LV
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team / Programme: Program Operations
Contract Length: 1 year (renewable)
- Level 3 – The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking / vetting process staff.
- The Field Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Save the Children’s Programme Operations in the Kaduna Field Office and related sub-offices.
- This includes responsibility for ensuring integrated, high quality program delivery and an optimized, safe and effective presence of Save the Children in the operating area; including oversight and ultimate responsibility for the timely delivery of projects, across all represented sectors: Child Protection, WASH and Education; as well as maintain effective relationships with all other key players in the area (Donor, NGOs, UN, and Government MDAs etc.) to ensure effective coordination of activities and ability to implement.
- S/he is also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of support services – Logistics, Security, Finance and Human Resources / Administration.
- In coordination with the, Country Director, Director for Program Operations, Deputy Director, Program Operations, Head of Safety and Security, and other senior staff, s/he has overall responsibility for safety and security of staff and operations in the field site.
- The role holder is responsible for team leadership, human resources management, oversight of all programs, and management of SC facilities and assets in the locality, and overall strategic steer/representation of SCI in the field location.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Deputy Director Programme Operations
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 7
- Direct: Programme Managers (x2), Safety & Security Officer, IT Officer, Supply Chain Coordinator, Finance Coordinator, HR & Admin Officer
- Budget Responsibilities: Yes
- Country office staff across functions.
- Donors, Partners, SC members, Government as necessary, and community.
Key Areas of Accountability
Oversees Save the Children’s programs and operations in Kaduna FO:
- Manages the financial, administrative, logistics, IT, and other operational aspects in the field site.
- Supervises Program Managers based in the field office, providing managerial guidance and support, and ensuring effective communication and coordination among programmes, including ensuring integration where appropriate.
- Ensures effective performance and coherence of the staff team through holding regular meetings and implementing regular training, support, and performance evaluation of staff.
- With support from the CO ensures fit-for-purpose staffing structure for effective operational delivery.
- Participates in developing the program strategy for Save the Children in Nigeria and in setting policies relevant to field operations.
- Ensures compliance with donor requirements. Supports development of proposals and reports for donors and others. Facilitates donor and other visits as requested.
- Ensures effective representation and coordination with local government, communities, and NGO partners.
- Maintains effective implementation of security guidelines and reporting.
Leadership and Overall Management:
- Ensure vision, mission and values of Save the Children are clearly and properly understood and upheld by all staff in the FO.
- Maintains Save the Children’s organizational culture and operational policies and procedures in the Field Office. This includes Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy, Fraud Policy, the Minimum Standards of Humanitarian Relief, etc.
- Responsible for the overall management and supervision of programme, finance, logistics, HR, and administration functions in Kaduna Office.
- Maintain awareness on legal cultural/traditional issues and ensure these are considered in the implementation of the programme if required and relevant.
- Monitor the operating context, identifying changes to the context, identifying constraints and challenges and taking timely/relevant actions in consultation with the DDPO and applicable stakeholders.
- Coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly reports.
Management of Programme Implementation and Emergencies:
- Facilitate and coordinate implementation of planned activities, providing support to ensure high quality of implementation.
- Bear ultimate accountability for ensuring planned activities are implemented according to the operational plans and budget.
- Ensure an integrated approach to programme implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy.
- Ensure that all activities are in compliance with Save the Children’s and donor requirements, regulations and policies; and as per the approved plan/proposal.
- Facilitate and coordinate with Deputy Director of Program Operations, and Director, and relevant leads to ensure technical support and capacity development of programme staff in Kaduna.
- Work closely with Programme Advisors to ensure teams receive the necessary support to deliver quality programmes.
- Facilitate production and dissemination of humanitarian alerts, assessment and categorisation processes, supporting the definition of support needs and coordination of organisational resources (including people, funding, stocks).
Monitoring, Reporting and Learning:
- Manage and facilitate Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning advisors to build field staff capacity and support quality program delivery, with
- Ensure monitoring systems and procedures as well as documentation and information management systems are being utilized properly and projects are regularly monitored in Kaduna.
- Responsible for the enforcement of reporting requirements and procedures for grants and timely submission of reports to DDPO, thematic Program Advisors, and Awards for all projects implemented in Kaduna FO.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation and provision of information and data to Learning and Development Unit for quarterly and annual reports of the country programme.
- Collate and produce monthly reports and weekly SITREPS.
- Ensure that all reports (i.e. logistics, HR and finance, donor as well as program) are of good quality and produced timely and sent to the appropriate authority at Abuja.
Administration and Management of Support Functions:
- Ensure proper control and usage of Save the Children assets and funds in Kaduna – providing direct oversight on finance, logistics, HR and admin functions
- Ensure the programmes in Kaduna prioritize value for money
- Work closely with the logistics department to coordinate and follow-up on the procurement and delivery of goods and services for the programme and the programme offices.
- Provide the key communication link to the country office and other field offices to share learning, secure appropriate support and update them on progress of the work underway.
Budget Follow up and Ensuring Financial Compliance:
- Accountable for management and monitoring of assigned budget in his/her capacity as budget holder.
- Ensure the effective compliance of Save the Children and donor finance and grant procedures and requirements.
- Coordinates and facilitates the work of the finance team in Kaduna office.
- Ensure the financial reporting and forecasting to the country office is accurately and efficiently carried out within the right timeframe.
- Work with the finance department and Finance Director to ensure accurate budget control for financial management at the field in line with project/grant proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation of cash flows and budget phasing of projects to be implemented in Kaduna.
- Facilitate and coordinate budget revisions / realignments for projects / grants as required.
Human Resource Development and Management:
- Build a high performing team in Kaduna who deliver results for children.
- Ensure staffing levels, management structures, and personnel processes are appropriate and effective to enable the smooth implementation of the programme, including appropriate recruitment and induction processes.
- In collaboration with the HR/Admin, guide and support staff in their development, planning succession, managing talent, and taking prompt action to address issues of underperformance and other issues impacting on professional conduct or implementing duties and responsibilities.
- Ensure staff in Kaduna receive regular support, supervision, feedback, and performance appraisals in line with HR procedures and protocols.
- Ensure the Save the Children Safeguarding Policies are understood by all staff in Kaduna, and that it is integrated into all aspects of the teams’ work.
Representation of Save the Children in the Field Region:
- Represent Save the Children in Kaduna and environs, in relation to operational oversight, donor engagement, programme implementation and maintaining a strong link with community influencers, government, NGOs, Security agencies, and UN organizations in the area.
- Establish and maintain contact with all key actors as relevant for the programme implementation – security agencies, government, UN, NGOs and partners – and establish mechanisms for coordinating with local community organizations in line with key thematic areas of work and assess capacity/resources to respond.
- Advocate on the issues and rights of children in the operating context, in order to improve policy and practices, in line with SCI’s authorized key messages.
Safety and Security Management:
- Serve as the overall security focal point for the area of operation.
- With support from the safety and security officers, provide regular updates and analysis of the security situation of the Area of operation to the DDPO, DPO, Head of Safety and Security, and the Country Director as appropriate.
- Assist the safety and security coordinator in the development of security procedures and protocols for the field and sub offices under the Area of Operation and ensure an understating and adherence of the same.
- Have an overview of the political and security context in field locations and how their changes may affect the programme’s work and ensure that this is communicated regularly to the Senior Management Team.
- With the Safety and Security Officers develop and implement effective safety and security procedures ensuring that these are updated and revised at regular intervals and that new programmes are built around security considerations.
- Take a lead role in monitoring the security situation in Kaduna and update and implement Save the Children safety and security policies and procedures.
- Ensure security/incident management contingency plans and guidelines and in place, are regularly reviewed and activated when appropriate in close consultation with applicable SMT members.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in a related field, Masters’ preferable
- Five years related experience
- Five years progressive non-profit work experience with international humanitarian programmes.
- A proven understanding of development issues in the country and region.
- Management and supervisory experience.
- Established excellence in written communication, including the preparation of complex documents to meet strict deadlines
- Strong personal communication skills, ability to facilitate liaison between different sectors.
- Good financial, budget and grant management skills
- Able to work and travel in difficult conditions
- Able to work with diverse team members
- Good training skills, with a proven ability to build capacity of others in report writing.
- Solid Knowledge of donor funded projects (UN, USG, FCDO, GATES, Corporate donors etc.)
Competencies and Behaviours (Values in Practice)
Leadership: (Leading and Inspiring others, delivering result, Developing self and others)
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind.
- Demonstrates managerial courage by confronting difficult situations, seeking resolution, and championing ideas.
- Actively contributes to a team environment where team members feel able to contribute, champion or challenge decisions
- Takes responsibility for own development, and actively takes steps to better understand and address own strengths and weaknesses.
- Openly talks about doing things differently, pushing the boundaries and ways of working.
- Tailors communication style to certain audiences.
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met by own preferred solution.
Engaging: (working effectively with others)
- Develops strategies for teams to work across traditional and religious boundaries, working in diverse environments.
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
- Uses negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support positive outcomes
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
8th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online